2011-01-17

Pirate Software, week 2: Enigmail

There are many ways to send encrypted messages by email. I use Thunderbird, which has had an encryption plugin since 2003, called Enigmail. It is reasonably simple to setup. Enigmail will prompt you for a password, and you'll better pick a strong one (described here, among other places). Enigmail then lets you publish your public key to special key-servers where it can be found. You can also put it online somewhere. I have my public key here. Have a look - it is good to know what these keys look like! You won't get my private key, though. It is for my eyes only.

I have chosen to use a special email address for my encrypted emails, mats_s@henricson.se. The reason is because I once used my ordinary email address, then by mistake threw away my key. Don't ask me for details - it was so stupid that it still makes me blush, even though it happened 7 years ago.

Now, turn on Enigmail encryption for your email account, and send me an email! I promise to send an encrypted email back, letting you know it works.

6 comments:

  1. Another really good encryption plugin for Apple Mail is GPGMail. You can find it at http://www.gpgtools.org/gpgmail.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writeup. I've used it, but found it too cumbersome not being able to read mail on the phone, getting gmail to index the mail, essentially tying me to one or more computers with Thunderbird installed. I did manage to get it somewhat working in Horde on my mailserver as well, but still Horde had some issues importing public keys and generally was painful to use.

    I'd love to have real gmail/Horde integration, and of course included in the mail client for android as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that EFF has a very good page about email and encryption:

    https://ssd.eff.org/tech/email

    ReplyDelete
  4. C2Logix offers routing software to arrange, maintain and manage your most efficient routes. the location has targeted technology to solve your specific desires.
    www.c2logix.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete